Friday, May 17, 2013

September 23, 2008--names, etc. :-)

Just have to say that I enjoyed reading the name suggestions, and C, you listed SIX names that we've either already used or were very high on our list, including my number one choices for both a boy's name and a girl's name! But I won't say what they were, in case we get another chance to use one of them and I can talk my husband into one of them the next time around. :-) Several other names other people listed were also names that we've either already used or really like. One that "I" really like, but my husband doesn't (and it doesn't follow the rules, either) is Anneliese, which I named the doll my husband gave me 12 or so years ago, since he said that there was no way, forever and ever, no matter what, that we were naming a real child that. It's such a pretty name, though!

Helen did finally get a middle name two and a half days after she was born: Teshuah. I keep reminding myself that I got my first choice with all eight names of our four other living children, so it's about time that my husband has first choice...I do like the meaning ("salvation", in Hebrew, so I guess essentially the feminine version of Joshua/Yeshua), and I guess it's pretty, and I'm sure I'll get used to it. But so far (Helen is 2 1/2 weeks old now), Helen Teshuah is not getting called by her full name anywhere near as often as any of the other children did at the beginning, nor can I really imagine her getting called by her full name when she's getting in trouble when she's a bit older, either... And a big plus with the name Helen: her name is NOT in the top ten either in the U.S. or Germany! (All four of the other children's first names are in the top ten either in the U.S. or in Germany or BOTH.) Helen was number 348, I think, according to one website.

Oh, and no, we didn't know before she was born whether she was a boy or a girl, and had pretty much agreed on a boy's name, which is why the first word's Helen heard from her mother were, "Oh, you're a girl! What's your name?" (She didn't answer, but at least she was asked...)

My parents were here for a week, which we really enjoyed, and it was hard saying goodbye this morning. A family reunion is tentatively being planned for spring (northern hemisphere!) 2010, and we really doubt that we'll get to the U.S. any time before that, either, but hopefully at least my parents will be able to visit us again before then.

Totally different topic (but at least in keeping with this blog's name, which the rest of this post isn't!): good friends of ours have been "turned in" to social services for homeschooling, and they're trying to make some quick decisions. The most likely scenario is that they'll join what is probably becoming the biggest group of German homeschoolers: they will become foreigners. All that really remains to decide is exactly which country will become their new home, and when. I've heard of lots of other families recently, too, in several different countries, but can't give any details on any of them, as they are still in precarious situations. Things are not getting any better for homeschoolers in Germany, as far as anyone can see...

No comments:

Post a Comment