Friday, May 17, 2013

November 8, 2007--TV interview with homeschool family

At 10:07 last night I read an e-mail that a family I've met was going to be on TV on a program that was starting at 10:15. I quickly went through a mental list of whom I could telephone at that hour to ask to record the show (we don't have a TV), and the friend I called can't record, but invited me over (she lives less than a mile away), so I popped over and got to see the show. They first showed several clips from previous programs (a year ago, and in September this year--that one I'd gotten to see at a friend's house, as well), as well as the "evaluators" (Gerichtsvollzieher, I think--I don't know what to call them in English) coming to their house to see what they could confiscate (pfänden) to pay the €4500 (about US$ 6300) in fines that they have so far, but determined that there was nothing of value that they were allowed to take. They're not allowed to take the computer because the parents work from home via the computer, and there apparently wasn't anything else. (They sure wouldn't find anything here, either, and can't take our computer, either, since my husband also works from home!)


After the clips, the family then came onto the stage--I guess it was a sort of newsshow/talkshow combination. (Stern TV on RTL, for those in Germany reading this..) Overall, I thought it was very good, mostly positive about homeschoolers and about this family in particular, and making the authorities look rather ridiculous, I thought. The one "bad" thing (in that it gave what most people will see as a negative impression) was that the interviewer asked the boys (12 and 10) "what they had learned today", and the older one could only come up with adding up the scores in a game they had played, and the younger one said that he didn't think he had learned anything. Of course, I think it was a totally unfair question, and I'd like to know what school-kids would answer! And there's also the fact that in German, the word "lernen" can be understood both as "study" and "learn" (it's a common mistake that Germans make when speaking English, to say "learn" when they mean "study", and just to complicate matters, the verb "studieren" means "to go to university"...), and after the boys' school experience (they've been home for two years now, I think), they are quite negative about that particular verb. But of course, none of that was explained in the show, so they just came off looking a bit stupid, which they most certainly are not!


This morning I was gone for a couple of hours, so just to see how my children would react, I asked them afterwards what they had "learned" today. Neither of them could come up with anything. However, when I asked them what they had DONE today, they could both give detailed answers about their German, Marie for example explaining the difference between a report and a narration (and "learned" those words in English while explaining to me what she'd been doing), as well as what they had done and were planning to do on their lanterns (for Martin's Day), what books they'd read, what they were weaving, etc. (I confess I didn't entirely understand the deal that Marie and Jacob had made regarding who was weaving what for whom in exchange for which large piece of cardboard, but I did get out of it that there were peaceful negotiations going on, and that the parties involved were mutually satisfied...)


The only school-like thing they did was German, which they generally do Mondays and Thursday when my husband is home in the morning, but I think they "learned" plenty!


But I'd really, really like to go around to a few school-kids and ask them "What did you learn today?"

No comments:

Post a Comment