Friday, May 17, 2013

February 9, 2006--a brag or something about 6yo

 
As if I weren't spending too much time on the computer already, after this incident today, my HUSBAND said "You should put that on your blog!" I'm not sure why, but I suppose it's because I feel like I can get away with bragging here because it's your choice to read this, not like I sent you a private e-mail that you're obligated to read! LOL
Anyway, if you read the article that Spunky (I guess I need to learn how to do links) did about this being blog of the week back in October, you know that my now 6 1/2-year-old son figured out the commutative property of addition while sitting on the toilet at the age of four. Of course, he didn't know any of those words (except "of"), nor the words "plus" or "equals", nor could he even write most of the numbers, but that didn't matter. For the last TWO WEEKS they've been working on this in his first grade class. Pages and pages of writing 6+3=9, 3+6=9, etc.. He hasn't complained, just does it quickly and gets on with real life. Today he showed me a paper he got back, in which he'd drawn a star next to every problem. His teacher wrote on the bottom "Why a star on every problem?" (Okay, so she wrote in German, but it wasn't a complete sentence in German, either.) I asked him why, and he said because she'd told the children to put a star next to the problem in each pair that was easier (they're being taught that the larger number first is easier), but they were all easy. I just said "oh," but then a bit later he came over to me and showed me the answer he'd written to his teacher: "Because all of them are easy."
I don't really know what I'm "bragging" about, since it's not like he did anything new or amazing, but I liked his answer and I liked even more that he wrote it, and I'm so looking forward to getting him out of there...

No comments:

Post a Comment