Friday, May 17, 2013

August 24, 2007--reporter's visit

Today we had a reporter from a local newspaper (not local to us--but not a wide-ranging newspaper) here for about three hours. It went very well and she definitely gave the impression that it will be a positive article. The article isn't likely to come out for a few weeks yet, but I'll report back when it is.

She wanted to "observe us homeschooling" for a little bit, and we did explain that that was a rather artificial situation, but we tried. First of all, when we have visitors, we don't do the stuff that looks like schoolwork to outsiders--you know, math books and spelling tests, etc. Second, having known that she planned to do that, I've had two weeks to plan exactly what we would do while she's here, which is not at ALL how we operate!! (Which connects back to the first of all, in that even without visitors, we don't do a whole lot of the looks-like-schoolwork stuff...) At the very least, when she walked into the living room we weren't expecting her, as my husband had just taken out the garbage and met her outside, so there was no doorbell! So she found Marie sitting on my lap and Katie climbing on my back while Marie and I were reading the Bible (same Bible, but both silently), and Lukas looking at books. (I don't know where Jacob was...)

But Jacob (8) did his German (at the table, with my husband sitting next to him--usually my husband is working on the computer and Jacob is lying on the floor in our bedroom/the office), Marie (nearly 10) did math (again, at the table, with me sitting next to her--usually, the part we do together is on the couch, but she does usually choose to do the writing part at the table), and even Lukas (5) insisted on doing a couple of workbook pages, and Katie (2) colored. (On my arm, too, which I didn't notice when it happened, but it looks like her writing...) We didn't do any reading or timeline stuff or jumping on the mini-trampoline and nobody complained about math or had any fights or spilled anything. As I said, it was rather artificial.

But as an added bonus, not only did she understand English well (so I wasn't having to translate everything I said to the children or them to me), she also speaks Spanish, so was impressed when Katie and I had our daily galleta (cookie) discussion in Spanish!

One more thing: the phone did ring once this morning, but we didn't answer it. R.G. however happily left a message on the answering machine--but not her phone number! Since the computer crash, I don't have your e-mail address OR your telephone number, and we don't have caller ID. If you call me back (and leave your number) or e-mail me, I'll happily get back to you, and yes, I'll be in D. in September! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment